The application for Spring 2021 Academic Coaches in The Learning Center is now open. Both this application AND the job posting on Handshake must be completed to be considered for this role.
Academic Coaching Program
Academic Coaches are model students who effectively provide academic support to their peers. They encourage student success by providing guidance in developing academic goals in one-on-one coaching sessions and group workshops in The Learning Center. Academic Coaches also act as ambassadors for The Learning Center, visiting classes and representing our office in the greater campus community. Academic Coaches may also assist in the development of student resources and training for future academic coaches.
Minimum Requirements to be an Academic Coach:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- The ability to connect with students and provide guidance to support their success
- Knowledge of campus resources
- Must be available to attend the weekly AC meetings
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is required for all student employees in The Learning Center
- Must have the technology and ability to work both remotely and on-campus, as needed
- Must be available to work at least one evening shift, one weekend shift, and a total of at least 8 hours each week
- Preference will be given to students in the College of Science or College of Engineering, but students from all majors are invited to apply
- Scheduling and conducting academic coaching sessions
- Maintaining a log of sessions conducted and other administrative tasks
- Contributing to the development of academic success skill workshops
- Presenting academic success skill workshops
- Participating in other academic support-focused programs, as assigned
- Assisting with marketing of the LC’s academic support services
- Assisting with Learning Center outreach presentations and resource fairs
- Attending all trainings and meeting as directed by your supervisor
- Assisting with the development and training of other coaches
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Questions? Contact the Coordinator for Academic Support Services at LCcoaching@unt.edu.