What is Graduate Academic Coaching?
Graduate Academic Coaching is a collaborative and interactive process with the ultimate goal of assisting you in developing a personalized plan for achieving academic success in graduate school. A Graduate Academic Coach will listen to your needs and concerns and work closely with you to develop academic goals and suggest tools, resources, and strategies to assist in reaching those goals. Topics discussed during academic coaching are based on your needs. Common topics we encouter are balacing work, family, and school, managing big projects like a thesis/dissertation, and effective reading strategies for graduate level material. The actual length of the Graduate Academic Coaching session depends on your needs, however, it is preferred that sessions are scheduled for one hour in order to allow enough time.
Who is Graduate Academic Coaching for?
Graduate Academic Coaching is for anyone who wants assistance in achieving success in their graduate program. Students who utilize Graduate Academic Coaching are typically interested in gaining one or more of the following things:
- Individualized academic support
- Information about Learning Center Programs that may fit their needs
- Informaiton about campus resources for Graduate students
- Information about academic techniques specific to Graduate School
- How to handle the difference between Undergraduate and Graduate expectations
When and where do Graduate Academic Coaching sessions occur?
Graduate Academic Coaching session times depend upon your availability and our coaches' schedules. Generally, there are coaches available between 8 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday, but this can vary by day. As Graduate Academic Coaching is a collaborative process it is best done in person. In person sessions are available in the Learning Center, Sage Hall 170. If you are interested in scheduling a coaching session with one of our Graduate Academic Coaches, please complete the following request form. Someone will be in touch with you in 24-48 business hours to set up a session. If you have not heard from us by then, please feel free to contact the Learning Center at 940-369-7006.
NOTE: Online coaching is available for distance learners and students with extenuating circumstances that prevent them from coming to campus. To schedule an online session, please make sure to state on the request form that you will need that option. Please note that for an online session to occur, you will need, at the minimum, a working microphone and speakers on your computer.
How do I schedule an in person session?
- Open your browser and go to the UNT Virtual Learning Center's portal page (unt.upswing.io).
- Log in with your EUID and password.
3. In the search bar, type "Graduate Student Academic Coaching"
4. You will be able to see all the Academic Coaches and read a little about them. Once you have decided who you would like as your coach, click "Schedule".
5. Select between In-Person (preferred), or online sessions. Select the appropriate day and time range you would like to meet with your coach. Click "Select a time".
6. Select Graduate Student Academic Coaching for the subject then select the beginning time you would like. We recommend initial sessions should be scheduled for ONE HOUR (eventhough you may not need to use the entire hour), so select 60 min for duration. 30 minute options are also available.
7. After clicking submit, you will see a message at the bottom saying that your session has been scheduled and you will be notified when it is approved. Once the session is approved, you will see it appear under your “Upcoming Sessions” on your profile page. In the time between scheduling a session and the session itself, make sure you check your Messages on the profile page for any messages from your Coach.
Questions? Contact us today!
940-369-7006 | Allyson.Gardner@unt.edu